This three-day course is designed to provide students with the knowledge required to configure and manage subscriber management on devices running the Junos operating system. This course focuses on the main configuration components of subscriber management, including subscriber authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) local server and DHCP relay/proxy agent, the Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), subscriber addressing, dynamic profiles, subscriber interfaces, Layer 3 and Layer 2 wholesale services, dynamic firewall services, subscriber class of service (CoS), and dynamic multicast services.
Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience in configuring, monitoring, and troubleshooting subscriber management features on MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers running the Junos OS.
This course is based on the Junos OS Release 12.3R1.7.
JSM is an intermediate-level course.
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the fundamentals of subscriber management on a device running the Junos OS, including broadband access design concepts, hardware and software requirements, and configuration components.
- Configure subscriber AAA.
- Configure, verify, and troubleshoot extended DHCP local server, extended DHCP relay agent, and DHCP relay proxy mode.
- Configure dynamic Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) for subscriber access.
- Configure subscriber addressing.
- Configure, verify, and troubleshoot dynamic profiles.
- List predefined Junos variables used in subscriber management.
- Configure, verify, and troubleshoot static and dynamic virtual LANs (VLANs).
- Configure, verify, and troubleshoot static and dynamic subscriber interfaces.
- Describe Layer 2 and Layer 3 wholesale services.
- Configure and implement Layer 2 and Layer 3 wholesale services.
- Configure, verify, and troubleshoot dynamic firewall services.
- Configure, verify, and troubleshoot subscriber CoS.
- Configure, verify, and troubleshoot dynamic multicast services.
- Configure, verify, and troubleshoot the Access Node Control Protocol.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: Introduction to Subscriber Management
- Overview and Terminology
- Broadband Access Network Design and Concepts
- Configuration and Operational Flow
- Software Licensing
Chapter 3: Access Management
- Access Management Overview
- AAA Services
- Extended DHCP Local Server
- Extended DHCP Relay
- Subscriber Addressing
- L2TP Subscriber Access
- Lab 1: Configuring Subscriber Access
Chapter 4: Subscriber Interfaces and Dynamic Profiles
- Junos Interfaces Overview
- VLAN Types
- Dynamic Profiles
- Subscriber Interfaces
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting Tools
- Lab 2: Configuring Interfaces and Dynamic Profiles
Chapter 5: Dynamic PPPoE for Subscriber Access
- PPPoE Overview
- Dynamic PPPoE Overview and Operational Flow
- Dynamic PPPoE Interface Configuration
- PPPoE Service Table Names
- Lab 3: Configuring Dynamic PPPoE Subscriber Access
Chapter 6: Layer 3 and Layer 2 Wholesale Services
- Wholesale Services Overview
- Layer 3 DHCP Wholesale
- Layer 3 PPPoE Wholesale
- Layer 2 Wholesale
- Lab 4: Configuring Layer 3 Wholesale Services
Chapter 7: Dynamic Firewall Services
- Firewall Filters Overview
- Implementing Dynamic Firewall Services
- Monitoring Firewall Filters and Counters
- Lab 5: Configuring Dynamic Firewall Services
Chapter 8: Subscriber Class of Service
- Class of Service Overview
- Traffic Classification, Queuing, and Scheduling
- Implementing Subscriber Class of Service
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting Tools
- Lab 6: Configuring Subscriber Class of Service
Chapter 9: Dynamic Multicast Services
- IGMP Overview
- Implementing Dynamic Multicast Services
- Monitoring Multicast and IGMP
- Lab 7: Configuring Dynamic Multicast Services
Appendix A: Access Node Control Protocol
- ANCP Overview
- Configuring ANCP
- Monitoring ANCP
- This course is intended for network administrators who configure and administer subscriber management features on MX routers running the Junos OS.